Take to the river with Hanmer Springs Canoes. Our safe, durable and fun inflatable vessels allow you to explore the unknown through the scenic Waiau River gorge in the stunning natural environment of Hanmer Springs. This full-day, fully guided river canoe safari includes a picnic lunch and a return by Jetboat to your point of departure. Suitable for couples, families or groups, this is a real New Zealand experience not to be missed. Book your Canoe Safari today!
What you need to know
9am to 5pm Thursday to Monday (closed Tuesday & Wednesday)
Minimum age 6 years Child age 6-13 years Family consists of 2 adults and up to 3 children
THINGS TO NOTE
Fully guided canoe journey on the Waiau River
Picnic lunch included
No experience necessary
More than 450 reviews on TripAdvisor
Getting To Hanmer Springs
Hanmer Springs is just a 90 minute drive north of Christchurch. Our adventure activities are located at our river base on Hanmer Springs Road (State Highway 7A). Find us on the right, just before the bridge, after the turnoff to the township from State Highway 7. Our booking office is located in Hanmer Springs Village.
For transport from Christchurch to Hanmer Springs and return, you can also take the Hanmer Connection Shuttle Bus (ph 0800 242 663).
For guests staying in Hanmer Springs Village we offer a complimentary return shuttle. This service is available from your accommodation to our adventure attractions.
CUSTOMER SATISFACTION FIRST
We are committed to giving you the best experience possible
ADD MORE GET MORE
Add 2 different attractions to the shopping cart = $25 OFF
Add 3 different attractions to the shopping cart = $50 OFF
Add 4 attractions to the shopping cart = $75 OFF
Each attraction added to a single cart must have the same number of participants.
Discount applied automatically to your entire shopping cart.
What you need to know about Canoe Safaris
- Fully guided canoe journey on the Waiau River
- Fun inflatable canoes
- Picnic lunch included
- Jetboat ride (return to river base)
- Pick-ups from Hanmer Springs accommodation
- 3-seater inflatable Canoes
- 9.30am-9.50am – Pick-up from Hanmer Springs accommodation
- 10.00am – Depart from Hanmer Springs Attractions river base
- 1.00pm approx – Picnic lunch on the riverbank
- 2:30pm – Tour concludes
- Returns to Hanmer Springs accommodation available on request or take part in our other adventure activities
Terms and conditions
- Minimum numbers: 2 people
- Minimum age: 6 years*
- Maximum numbers: 3 people per Canoe
- 10 Canoes available
- Maximum guests 27 per trip (guide to pax ratio 1:9 3 guides available)
- Length of trip: 4-5 hours
- Equipment provided: Wetsuit, booties, helmet, qualified guide, life jackets
- Guests need: Swimwear, towel, sunscreen
- No experience necessary
- Grade 2 river
- Reasonable standard of fitness required
- Suitable for families
- Child age: 13 and under
- *Children must fit safety equipment in order to participate
- Hanmer Springs Attractions reserves the right to refuse participation should any person be affected by alcohol, medication or any other substance such that they may be a risk to themselves or others.